Dee Dickens is a Founding Member of the Sword Forge Collective 2022 – 2023.
Dee Dickens lives on a mountain in South Wales with her husband and two shedding familiars. She likes to make people feel things. She is a trainee adult and a mouthy goddess. She loves ribs.
- Poetry Collection ‘Fear of Drowning’ [ buy it here ]
- Poetry Collection ‘The Changeling Child and the Horse’ [ buy it here ]
- Poetry Collection ‘An Approximation of Womanhood’ [ buy it here ]
- UK Slam Championship Runner Up 2022 (Farrago Poetry).
- Runners Up World Cup Finalist 2022.
- A competing member of the Cardiff Metropolitan University UniSlam team who won UniSlam 2021.
- A competing member of the Cardiff Metropolitan University UniSlam team who were Finalists at UniSlam 2020.
- A competing member of the Cardiff Metropolitan University UniSlam team who were Semi-Finalists at UniSlam 2022.
- An Oooh Beehive Grand Finalist 2021.
- Author of six books including three poetry collections.
- Invited poet in The CandleLit Sessions 2021.
- Longlisted for Best Collaborative Work (for their participation in The CandleLit Sessions) in the Saboteur Awards 2022.
BOOKINGS / CONTACT DEE
DEAN’S AWARD SPEECH
Dee is a conscientious and dedicated mature student. During her time at Cardiff Met she battled through a number of medical challenges. Despite this, Dee pushed herself to consistently improve and to ‘be braver’ with her creative work year on year. Dee achieved a first-class classification for her ambitious creative writing dissertation; a portfolio of poetry and a critical commentary which explored black identity, slavery, heritage and inherited trauma.
Dee has achieved other successes including securing publishing contracts for her poetry collection and creative writing. Dee was also a member of the Cardiff Met UniSlam team who won the Grand Finals in 2021.
Since completing her undergraduate programme Dee has had three books published by Wordcatcher Publishing, been included in three anthologies and performed poetry in Liverpool, Dublin and Cardiff. She has been commissioned to write short stories and poetry for local artist, Rose Jenkins, hosted the women centred Empower Me poetry event and won the inaugural Cardiff Met Poetry Slam.
Dee went on to complete an MA in Creative Writing at Cardiff Met and is currently a PhD student exploring the ‘ways in which writing poetry can facilitate access to, identification of, and healing from trauma in late diagnosed autistic women’.
Dee regularly reads and performs her work for good causes, raising funds for victims of domestic violence, for NHS workers, for Black Lives Matter and more.
She speaks often about the positive force that Cardiff Met has been in her life at public events and often supports Marketing by sharing her experiences. If you want to hear more about Dee, please see her blogs on our website.
As Dee says, ‘studying English and Creative writing as a mature student has transformed my life’.
As a result of her hard work and with the support and encouragement from her lectures, family and friends, she is living the writers’ life she dreamed about as a child.
Many congratulations Dee you are a wonderful role model to us all.